16th EAJS International Conference 2020
Call for Conference Site Bids
The European Association for Japanese Studies (EAJS) invites bids to host the 16th International Conference of EAJS to be held in 2020. EAJS conferences take place every three years and are usually attended by more than 500 scholars from Europe, but also from other countries such as the United States and Japan. The previous EAJS International Conference 2014 in Ljubljana was attended by almost 900 participants. Bids are geographically limited to Europe (not just the EU). The local organization of the conference should be managed by an institution of Japanese Studies in the country the conference is to be held. Previous EAJS Conferences have taken place in Zurich (1976), Florence (1979), The Hague (1982), Paris (1985), Durham (1988), Berlin (1991), Copenhagen (1994), Budapest (1997), Lahti (2000), Warsaw (2003), Vienna (2005), Lecce (2008), Tallinn (2011), and Ljubljana (2014). The conference in 2017 will be held in Lisbon, Portugal.
The EAJS Council will select the next conference site based on the following set of guidelines:
- the likely costs to the participants in terms of participation fee and hotel charges;
- the appeal of the proposed location as an interesting place to visit;
- the levels of commitment and expertise underlying the proposal, particularly relating to the financial management;
- the possibility of raising funds locally;
- the need to ensure that EAJS holds its conferences all over Europe, not just in a few selected countries;
- ease of communications and transport;
- the presence of Japanese studies in the country.
Please send your bid, including a statement addressing the aspects mentioned above, a budget estimate and possible funding sources to:
Office of the European Association for Japanese Studies (EAJS)
c/o Freie Universität Berlin
We would like to point out that the EAJS Council will expect you to present your proposal at the 15th International Conference in Lisbon.
Deadline for proposals is 30 June 2017.
We are looking forward to receiving your proposals!